Celebrate Juneteenth 2022 Writing Competition
The Coos History Museum and Juneteenth Committee will host our 2nd Annual Juneteenth Celebration on June 18th and 19th, 2022. As part of our mission to provide education and foster community participation in CHM events and programs, this year the museum is sponsoring a youth writing competition to commemorate Juneteenth, which is now both a state and national holiday.
To participate in this writing competition, please carefully read and follow the competition rules below. You will also find links to the full Juneteenth Writing Competition Rules, the Scoring Rubrics for each category, and the Juneteenth Writing Competition Flyer at the bottom of the page.
Click here to learn more about and register for the April 14th @ 3:00 PM Writing Workshop with Annis Cassells: Juneteenth Writing Competition Workshop
Juneteenth Writing Competition Rules
Eligibility: The competition is open to youth 7th grade through community college, ages 12-22.
Divisions: Middle School, High School, College
- Cash for 1st ($200), 2nd ($100) and 3rd ($50) place winners in each category and division.
- Invitation to 1st place winners to read (or sing) their winning pieces at the Coos History Museum Juneteenth Celebration.
- Publication on the Coos History Museum website.
- Poetry: Submit up to two (2) original poems, each 32 lines or fewer
- Song: Submit up to two (2) original songs; each 2-3 minutes in length when performed
- Essay: Submit up to two (2) original essays, each 600-800 words; sources cited
- All entries will be “blind” judged (with no identification of the entrant) in accordance with a rubric appropriate for the genre.
- Rubrics will be available to participants on the Coos History Museum website.
- The decision of the judges will be final.
- Participants may enter submissions in all three categories, but will only be able to place once in each category.
- All submissions must be the entrant’s original work and not previously published elsewhere.
- Submissions must address one of the Juneteenth Themes as listed below. The Suggested Prompts are optional and you may opt for your own, but it must still address one of the Juneteenth Themes listed below.
- Submissions must contain appropriate language suitable for a mixed-age audience.
- The Juneteenth Committee reserves the right to request editing of inappropriate or erroneous information.
- All submissions must be in size 12, Times New Roman font, with a title, and page numbers listed on each page. NO identifying information will be included on the pieces submitted.
- Song submissions must include an audio recording in addition to the written lyrics, either mp4 or wav file.
- Each entry must be submitted by email in an individual document (Word or PDF) to email@example.com. [ex: 2 poems = 2 documents]
- The submission email must include: Contact details (first & last name and age group, email, phone number) and Category, division, and title of each piece submitted
- DEADLINE: 5pm, April 30, 2022.
- Winners will be notified by May 21, 2022.
- First place winners who wish to read their piece or perform their song must be available for and attend a rehearsal on a designated date prior to the celebration.
Juneteenth Themes – Entrants will address one of the following themes:
- Juneteenth: Our Second Independence Day
- Celebrating Triumphs of the Human Spirit
- Survival in Unsettling Times
- Advancing Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
- Equality vs. Equity
- Honoring the Courage and Achievement of African-Americans
- The Road from Liberation to Equality
The Coos History Museum reserves the right to not award a prize in any given category if no entry meets the standards set by the judges. By submitting you are agreeing to all competition rules.
Click on the links below for additional information and resources such as the complete writing competition rules, the scoring rubrics for each category, and the writing competition flyer.
Complete Competition Flyer & Rules
- Celebrate Juneteenth 2022 Writing Competition Rules
- Celebrate Juneteenth 2022 Writing Competition Flyer
- Juneteenth Writing Competition Scoring Rubric: Poetry
- Juneteenth Writing Competition Scoring Rubric: Song
- Juneteenth Writing Competition Scoring Rubric: Essay
All events subject to change.