Earlier this year, a call went out to all Coos County high school students, SWOCC students and the general public for submissions for a creative writing contest. On October 13, 2018, the winners were announced at the Oregon Writer’s Day which the Coos History Museum holds annually.
Click on the titles in order to read the winning submissions.
- The Promise (Barbara Jernigan)
- Asher’s Garden (Bill Cullenward)
- A Tisket, A Tasket (Ron Miranda)
Honorable Mention: Waiting (Bill Cullenward)
- Late to Madrid (Annis Cassells)
- Banderlog (Ron Miranda)
- Sick as a Doggerel (Weld Champneys)
Honorable Mention: In This Century (Annis Cassells)
- Nothing But The Truth (William Crombie)
- Not Perfect, Almost Okay (Alice Keating)
- Last Dance (Alice Keating)
Armageddon (William Crombie)
The Battle (Christopher Montgomery)
Otso (Taylor Stephens)
- Self-Portrait as a Pair of Crows (William Crombie)
- Noumenon (William Crombie)
- Ballad of a Grown Up Empress (Alice Keating)
Empire (William Crombie)
We’re Taught (Megan Rutherford)
Naive Sweets (Bailey Aldridge aka Cranberry)
Big thanks to Amazing Amy for staging the event, presenting the works and offering the prizes!. I was great and the entries in the Student Division were just stunning
Thanks to the Coos History Museum for honoring writers, celebrating Oregon Writers Day, and providing this great opportunity for local writers. Congratulations to all the winners and the participants who shared their writing.