Only a fraction of our collections are exhibited at any one time to guard against damage from environmental elements or accidental contact. Our collections are managed through a computerized database. Museum staff can locate detailed information, descriptions, and thumbnail images of objects, images, archives, and research library information without inflicting wear and tear on objects. Subparts of the database are in various stages of development thanks to our dedicated volunteers.
Donating Objects to the Collection
The Museum collects stories, artifacts, photographs, and archival materials that help interpret Coos regional history. In order to be considered for acceptance into the permanent collection, the item(s) must fit within our current collection plan, storage space requirements, and fit within the following criteria:
- Contribute to the understanding of the history and material culture of Coos County and/or Oregon’s Southern Coast;
- Help meet the needs of the Museum’s mission or be otherwise sufficiently useful for research or interpretive purposes;
- Be in reasonably good physical condition;
- Be sufficiently complete to convey historical information.;
- Be offered free and clear, with no restrictions and with the present owner(s) having clear title to item(s).
Those interested in donating item(s) should contact the curator at firstname.lastname@example.org